Friday, January 17, 2014

How a Hashtag Can Save your Life

Before the social media craze of Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, not many of us had heard about "Hashtags". The "Octothorp" as it is also called, always preceded a telephone number or was used as a prompt when leaving voice mails. 
So for the non smart phone people, what is a hashtag these days? The easiest way to describe it is a connector, a way for people to find similar ideas, pictures, or things. Sometimes it gets a little out of hand when someone posts a picture on Instagram of a piece of cake and says, "#ilovetoeatcakeallthetime." Is that really necessary? Can't you just use the grammar lessons you got in highschool and type out a real sentence using good English? Don't get me wrong, I've been there, done that, but all the time is just not necessary. 

Anyways, let's get on with how a hashtag saved my life. Back to grass roots here, I'm getting off track.
I think Hashtags are amazing. They really do connect people, and most of all connect hobbies, and ways of life. I sat on Instagram some 6 months ago and somehow stumbled upon, "#girlswholift"
which to my surprise brought up over one million pictures! Mind blow!
I would have never thought that one hashtag would change my life, and catapult me into a new lifestyle change where I too became a girl who lifted.
I 'met' on Instagram a few girls who had bikini competition lifestyles, who would post hilarious 30 second videos on just about anything, they would post clean recipes, and most of all, their tips and tricks for staying on track with eating and fitness. 
I started discovering, "#cleaneats, #cleantreats," and most of all......the mother of all hashtags.....#FITAFAM.
There is a fitness family on social media that I knew nothing about, and call me crazy, but somehow using a word like 'fitfam' can connect people from around the world with the same desires and passions. 
I found recipes using these hashtags, I found people to follow and track, I found a drive to want to know more about fitness and clean eating. I had no idea there was a social media world out there that was designed to help, assist, and drive people into the same purpose. 
Since that time, I've been on a fun, frustrating, and amazing journey where I've converted my lifestyle into somewhat of a girl who lifts. I'm a part of an online fitness family even though I have an alias and people don't really know who I am or where I come from. 
That's the amazing thing about hashtags and social media. You don't need to know people's life story in order to connect with them, you just need the same purpose and the same goal. 
And this goal is HEALTH. 

I'm amazed at the transformation my body has taken especially over this past month. Call it a new years un'resolution. It's not a fad, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change. And every day when I wake up and look in the mirror, I'm amazed at how changing your diet, your fitness routine, and your interests, can actually change your life for the better. 

So this is a huge thank you to hashtags. And an even bigger thank you to the FitFam out there including @gymgirljessie, @dallasrae, and @jazzythings. You have inspired me to be better and do great things. Now go follow those girls, because they too can change your life with their crazy awesome ideas! 

Much love,

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment